Physical therapy helps people of all ages who have conditions, illnesses, or injuries that limit their usual ability to move and function. Clinica fisioterapia Granada
A personalized physical therapy program can help people return to their previous level of function and encourage activities and lifestyle changes that can help prevent further injury and improve overall health and well-being. Primary care physicians often refer patients to physical therapy at the first sign of a problem, as it is considered a conservative approach to managing problems. Wondering what makes physical therapy so important? In honor of Physical Therapy Month in October,
9 ways it can benefit you:
- Reduce or eliminate pain. Therapeutic exercises and manual therapy techniques, such as joint and soft tissue mobilization, or treatments such as ultrasound, bandaging, or electrical stimulation can help relieve pain and restore muscle and joint function to reduce stress. pain. These therapies can also prevent the pain from coming back.
- Avoid surgery. If physical therapy helps eliminate pain or heal an injury, surgery may not be necessary. And even if surgery is required, you can still benefit from physical therapy prior to surgery. If you are going to have surgery that is stronger and in better shape, in many cases you will recover faster afterward. Also, avoiding surgery reduces health care costs.
- Improves mobility. If you have trouble standing, walking, or moving, regardless of your age, physical therapy can help. Stretching and strengthening exercises help restore your ability to move. Physical therapists can properly position people with a cane, crutches, or any other assistive device, or evaluate the prescription of braces. By customizing an individual care plan, any activity that is important to a person’s life can be practiced and adapted to ensure maximum performance and safety.
- Recovering from a stroke. It is common to lose some degree of function and movement after a stroke. Physical therapy helps strengthen weakened parts of the body and improves gait and balance. Physical therapists can also improve stroke patients’ ability to move and move in bed so they can be more independent at home and reduce their burden of caring for toileting, bathing, dressing, and other activities of daily living. .
- Recover or prevent a sports injury. Physical therapists understand how different sports can increase the risk of specific types of injuries (such as stress fractures in long-distance runners). They can design appropriate recovery or prevention exercise programs so that you can safely return to your sport.
- Improve your balance and avoid falls. When you start physical therapy, you will be tested for your risk of falls. If you are at high risk for falls, therapists will provide exercises that challenge your balance safely and carefully as a way to mimic real-life situations. Therapists also help you with exercises to improve coordination and assistive devices to help you walk more safely. When the balance problem is caused by a problem in the vestibular system, physical therapists can perform specific maneuvers that can quickly restore proper vestibular function and reduce and eliminate symptoms of dizziness or vertigo.
- Manage diabetes and vascular conditions. As part of an overall diabetes management plan, exercise can help you effectively control your blood sugar. Also, people with diabetes can have sensation problems in their feet and legs. Physical therapists can help provide and educate these patients on proper foot care to avoid additional problems in the future.
- Manage age-related problems. As people age, they may develop arthritis or osteoporosis or need a joint replacement. Physical therapists are experts in helping patients recover from joint replacement and in managing arthritic or osteoporotic conditions conservatively.
- Manage heart and lung diseases. While patients can complete cardiac rehab after a heart attack or procedure, they can also receive physical therapy if their daily functioning is affected. For lung problems, physical therapy can improve quality of life through strengthening exercises, conditioning